The term "Mob" is short for "mobile" and has been used as a general term referring to any moving entities in games since the first MUDs surfaced.
There are currently 25 different mobs in Minecraft: Xbox 360/Playstation Edition, excluding the Player.
Passive mobs will never attack the player. All passive mobs require land and light to spawn on. However, the squid are the only mob that require water to spawn (unless spawned using Spawn Eggs).
- Snow Golem (Spawn by placing a Jack-o-Lantern on top of two Snow Blocks)
- Ocelot (tamable by feeding a raw fish while crouching)
Neutral mobs will not attack the player unless provoked. The act of provoking neutral mobs varies between mobs.
- Wolf (tamable by feeding a Bone)
- Zombie Pigman (neutral as long as you don't attack them)
- Enderman (neutral as long as you don't look at them or provoke them.)
- Spider (in daylight only)
- Iron Golem (Spawn by placing a Jack-o-Lantern on top of a "T" shape of Iron Blocks)
Hostile mobs will attack the player when in range. Zombies, Creepers, Skeletons, and Spiders require a light level of 7 or less to spawn. All mobs' hostility levels are based on how they are spawned by default. Spiders may become neutral, but they do not spawn neutral.
- Zombie Villager
- Wither Skeleton
- Magma Cube
- Cave spider
Note Hostile mobs will not attack the player in Creative.